These figures compiled by the Sign Research Foundation show the most common problems:
- 83%: Letters are too small.
- 71%: Placement of the sign makes it hard to see.
- 64%: Not sufficiently lit at night.
- 60%: Colour of letters does not stand out from the background.
- 53%: Digital signs change the message too fast.
- 48%: The letters use a fancy font.
- 36%: The letters are spaced too closely together.
- 34%: The sign looks very similar to other signs nearby.
- 32%: There are distracting visuals on the sign.